Staff Research Scientist/Research Strategy Manager
Compensation: $164,410.00 - $164,410.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Scientific Research
Loading some great jobs for you...
Dr. Alex Marson, director of the new Gladstone-UCSF Institute of Genomic Immunology , is seeking a highly motivated Research Strategy Manager who is passionate about managing an innovative academic research program focusing on immunology, cell therapies, human genetics, functional genomics and synthetic biology.
In your role as Staff Research Scientist/Research Strategy Managerfor the Gladstone-UCSF Institute of Genomic Immunology
, you will help to coordinate large scientific initiatives and research collaborations, international scientific meetings and symposia, and prepare related research proposals and funding applications. You will work in a dynamic environment supporting the work of a large group of enthusiastic and high-performing scientists. The candidate is expected to participate in strategy and execution, and will provide input, but not necessarily carry out the actual research. The ideal candidate should be an independent leader, exceptional multitasker, critical thinker, and negotiator with an excellent work ethic and execution skills. Candidate would help lead coordinated efforts to build the research team and research program for the new institute, including major recruitment efforts to increase diversity. Such efforts may include, but are not limited to, attending conferences and talks that may not be spotlighted on the national level, traveling to speak with groups, labs and individuals for which their own travels are financially limited, and coordinating with other labs, organizations and groups to create a network that would allow more exposure in diverse recruitment. Candidate must be able to work with a prolific, high-energy science team in a fast-pace environment. This position requires the highest degree of confidentiality and discretion and is charged with handling and relaying sensitive information and findings.Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Coordinating multiple collaborative projects, preparing and distributing action items, and delegating tasks as needed to the appropriate administrative departments and core facilities involved
- Communicating with multiple entities effectively and often to meet project short-term and long-term goals
- Leading contract management and negotiations, large equipment purchases, and material transfer agreements with research organizations and industry
- Coordinating with Gladstone Intellectual Property Department the execution of MTAs, patent filings, sponsored research and service agreements.
- Coordinating support of scientific publications
- Assisting PI with submission of progress reports in coordination with the Grants Department
- Assisting with manuscript preparation
- Assisting with presentation preparation
- Attending regular lab and scientific collaboration meetings to stay on top of research activities
- Assisting in the organization of international scientific meeting and symposia, including preparation of grant applications and fundraising.
- Assisting PI in creating budgets and other grant components, and working with the Grants Department to submit applications
- Leading the preparation of subcontracts with collaborating academic labs.
- Liaise and collaborate with Gladstone departments for grant submissions, philanthropy, event planning, and technology transfer
- Preparation of slide decks and other documents for lay audience presentations.
- Delegating tasks effectively to an administrative assistant and a lab manager to coordinate team operations.
- The position requires a PhD in Life Sciences and at least 3 years of experience with scientific project management after PhD. Additional experience in an academic setting is highly preferred.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced research environment and highly skilled in multitasking, time management, delegation, and prioritization.
- Writing experience is required; publications and grant applications to prove successful writing are a plus.
- Relevant work experience in scientific project management in academia.
- Ability to multitask and quickly prioritize work assignments
- Ability to research, write and manipulate data through knowledgeable use of online technologies, including Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint as well as equivalent software on Apple products.
- Ability to communicate effectively with information sources and colleagues in a professional and affable manner.
- Ability to work across teams and with a variety of projects and constituencies.
- Commitment to a professional culture that promotes diversity, safety, and environmental consciousness and that is conducive to effective relationships among diverse groups of employees.
- Ability to problem-solve and analyze issues without precedent.
- Knowledge of a variety of administrative operational activities such as events planning and basic fundraising processes.
Please make sure to include a cover letter.
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Be a part of big ideas and consider Gladstone. Your difference will make a difference in human health.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.
Associated topics: antibody, clinical, immunoassay, microbiology, nutritionist, pharmacometrics, pharmacy, physiology, toxicologist, transfection
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...